Sunday, October 30, 2011

Etta Lee Farmer: 1924-2011

My great-grandma died on October 27th, 2011. She was 87 years old and had a stroke on the night of the 23rd which left her unconcious during her last four days on earth. She was an amazing, godly woman whom I unfortunately didn't get to spend much time with. Her legacy is clear in the incredible family she leaves behind. This weekend Shin and I traveled to Hattiesburg, MS for her funeral and we met a LOT of family. I finally met my grandma's brothers, her older half-sister, and her younger step-sister. I also met their children and saw pictures of their grandchildren. Even though I will probably never see most of them again, it was good to finally put a face with a name.

Shin & I graveside (COLD) in Mendenhall, MS
 Saturday, October 29th, 2011

The funeral was also a good reminder that life is so short in comparison to eternity. I know this is a popular video, but our actions on earth DO determine our eternal existence. Chan's message became strikingly clear to Shin and I this weekend. It reaffirmed my desires to live life well. I want to follow God and to serve others because people WILL remember you by the sum of all the small actions that make up your life. Whether directly serving in India, sponsoring a child in need from halfway around the globe, or even serving a child's lunch in your own town (like my great-grandmother did as a cafeteria nutritionist for an entire county school-system), the things you do to serve others are important and they make you who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment