Saturday, August 6, 2011

Life Updates

We’re going to INDIA!
Shin and I are embarking on a grand adventure to India with a group from Gateway Baptist Church. The trip is from Sept 22nd- Oct 1st and our specific interest is related to the work I’ve been doing with India Child Sponsorship, a program of Community Development Initiatives. It's a ministry organized for people in America to sponsor Hindu orphans in Dehradun, India.
Our church has been working with this ministry for the last 7 years and we work directly with the staff of New Life Center. Unfortunately, unless sponsors step up by September 20th, they will lose funding that will cut 120 children from the program. Our church is taking a small group to assess the situation and find out how our money can best be used to aid the children that get to stay. For Shin and I to go, it's going to cost us $2,200 each.
I am trying to pick up some extra part time work cleaning, organizing, yard-working, errand-running (pray for people to take an interest in hiring me!)  and I may be taking a semester off from graduate school. However we also fully believe that missions is not just about us experiencing God, it’s not just about the people we will meet and share God’s love with, it’s about all of us – including you – worshipping God!  We believe that, “Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn’t.”1
We hope you will pray for us as we prepare to leave (for passports, Green card, and visas to process quickly), and we hope that you will let others know about what we are doing. If you are interested in prayerfully and/or financially supporting us, you can contact us by email at: Alycia.Jeong@gmail.com OR shin.d.jeong@gmail.com or use our PayPal donation button at the top right of the page.
As we prepare for our trip, I’m planning to post more on Dehradun, New Life Center, Child Sponsorship, Fundraising, and how we’re trying to figure out trusting in God on this seemingly financially ridiculous path He’s called us to. We hope you’ll follow along as we learn more about India and what God is doing there.

As an aside:
For anyone who read this post and thought the poky-grassy plants were weeds… you were wrong!  Check this beautiful flower out! Now I really wish I knew what it was because it successfully grew! All I did was water it, and one day it developed a tiny bud. Then the bud grew. And it took about two weeks. Then I thought it was never going to open and it was just going to die (the plant turned yellow-ish and was leaning over). So I repotted it Wednesday night into a larger container… and Thursday there was a BEAUTIFUL white blossom.


 It has yellow pollinator guys and they’re dusty and lovely (I’m sure anyone who knows anything about biology remembers what those are called but I don’t. Grease 2 only taught me “stamen” and “pistil” and I have no clue which is which). It also has purple veins on the outside that are perfectly impressive. (Can you tell I’m in love with this blossom?)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are both going to India! I know you will do and experience great things! Also, I believe your pokey-weed is a type of lily.

    ReplyDelete