Thursday, June 9, 2011

Remembering Cris

I just realized I can spend time drafting blog posts in Word and then paste them into my blog… instead of paying attention in class…
Right now our lives have been pretty uneventful. Something that’s shaken me a little is the death of a friend from college. My friend from Romania, Cris Bratu-Ene, was a really great guy. He was VERY smart, very friendly, very perceptive of people (I interviewed him for my thesis on intercultural conflict). He drowned on June 4th at the lake with friends. He somehow got separated from the group and drowned. Nobody knows what his last moments were like. He is going to be buried in Romania. My first thoughts were about his parents, how heartbroken they must be to know so little about how their child lived or died. But I know they must be proud of Cris. He led a Bible study and I know this is something his parents supported. His parents are Christians in Romania where it is very hard to be a Christian. Cris told me that if you are a Christian, you could get SPIT ON!
Anyway, secondly I was shocked because he was my age. He turned 22 in February. He touched a lot of lives and helped make SO MANY people feel welcomed to UCA. I know I played a small part in making him feel welcomed because I remember when he came to UCA. I was on Team Global. I don’t think we ever hung out much, but I always remember his first two semesters. Anytime I would see him and ask him how he was doing he would tell me all about his crazy HARD science classes. He spent a little while overwhelmed by studying at first. I think being able to plug in at BCM and Conversation Club really helped him to come out from under the burden of school stress.
I know God is rejoicing that His son came home. And I know Cris is celebrating with his Father. But I know so many people on earth who are crushed by the loss of this 22 year old beam of light. Please pray for Cris’ family and friends.
The following is something he wrote. It’s one of only two posts on his blog:
Don’t bother me with souls to save I have my own agenda. There’s school to do, sports to play, important stuff to attend to. Don’t bother me with my friend at work, he’s got his own religion. I don’t have time to change his mind, he’ll make his own decision. Don’t bother me with that little girl, the girls playing in the street. She’s much to young to understand that the Savior she could meet. Don’t bother me with the sounds I hear, the sounds of people shrieking. Although I wonder who they are, who are these people screaming? Don’t bother me with who they are, I really don’t want the blame! ‘Cause its my friend at work and that little girl who from hell scream out my name. But don’t bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment