Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympics 2012

YAAAY!!! The Olympics are here!!! So the opening ceremony was kind of weird to me, but anything featuring Kenneth Branagh is weird. I still got all weepy when I watched the all the volunteers perform. I'm a sap for any event that looks like tons of hard work went into choreographed movement and scripted talent (Russian Folk Dancing Performance, Fiddler on the Roof, Mamma Mia, Nanta). My favorite part was definitely Mr. Bean, the petal torches folding up into a massive torch, and Paul McCartney's close. I also teared up when I watched the Parade of Nations. Not the whole parade, but occasional feelings of awe and pride wash over me when I see tiny teams from tiny countries who are just SO EXCITED to be there. I waved back at Barack and Michelle when they were waving at the team. They probably didn't see me.

I'm really looking forward to this afternoon's swimming matches. I was a bit crushed when I woke up this morning to learn that Park Taehwan was DQed in his 400m. But, I've just learned that he's back in the race, so I'm very excited to see who's going to win!

*Update- Park Taehwan won silver!!!
The only thing is that the Olympics makes me miss my friends and family who love to watch it. Go here to watch all the events LIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment